In this article, we will be teaching you how to move Inkscape objects front or back. You can use the up, down, left and right arrow keys to move objects up, down, left, and right respectively by the number of pixels specified in your Inkscape preferences. The default value is two pixels. To shift an object, hold down the Alt key while pressing an arrow key. The object will move one screen pixel at a time — a screen pixel is one pixel, but it’s a smaller unit when zoomed in than when scaled down.
Table of Contents
Move Inkscape Object Front or Back
- Select the object, Object -> Increase / Decrease / Increase Up / Decrease Down.
- You can use the Page Up or Page Down shortcut.
NOTE: On the Windows notebook keyboard, press Fn + PgUp/PgDown to activate page up/down.
Use the tool control bar to move an object
- Select the objects you want to move.
- Type where you want to place the left edge of the bounding box in the X field on the Tool Controls bar. Inkscape changes the location.
- Type where you want the bottom edge of the bounding box to be in the Y field on the Tool Controls bar. Inkscape changes the location.
Use the Transform dialog box to move an object
- Use the Selector tool to select the object or path you want to move.
- Click Object > Transform or press Shift + Ctrl + M. The Transform dialog box opens.
- Choose the Move tab.
- Press the down arrow next to the unit of measure field and select a unit of measure.
- Check the Relative motion box.
- In the Horizontal field, enter how much you want to move the objects horizontally. Positive numbers will move objects to the right. Negative numbers move objects to the left.
- In the Vertical field, enter how much you want to move the object vertically. Positive numbers will move objects up. Negative numbers will move objects down.
- Click Apply. Move Inkscape object.
RELATED: How to draw leaf in Inkscape
Change your switching preferences
- Click Edit > Preferences or press Shift + Ctrl + P. The Preferences dialog box opens.
- In the box on the left, expand the Behavior section.
- Click Steps.
- Select a unit of measure in the Move with arrow keys field. Inkscape changes the unit of measurement.
- Enter a value in the Move by field of the arrow keys. Inkscape changes your arrow key preference.
- Close the Inkscape Preferences dialog box.