Have you been wondering how to make a transparent background on Canva, here’s how:
As a professional graphic designer, the use of layers is very important, the use of images, text, and images are layered on each other to produce a great design. You only get this layer if you project on a transparent background.
It is not necessary to be a great graphic designer before creating a transparent background. If you are a Canva subscriber, you can easily create a transparent background in Canva.
Why graphic designer needs a transparent background
Images with transparent backgrounds are useful when overlaying images. Whether you’re adding a watermark to your photos, creating images for social media, or designing printed materials for marketing plans, images with a transparent background can be overlaid to create beautiful, professional-looking designs.
How to Create a Transparent Background on Canva
Start by creating a project in Canva as you normally would. The project can be any size or shape and this technique will work either way.
When creating the design, keep in mind that any elements you add will be visible in the finished design. Any filled shapes, text, or photos will be above the transparent background. Don’t place elements such as the background of your design (color, photo, etc.) otherwise, all the parts will be transparent.
- Make sure you are logged in to your Canva account.
- Choose the image you want to work on.
- Now you need to remove the background layer or color from your image. Tap “Effect” at the top of the toolbar. Tap “Background Remover”. Now that you’ve removed the background layer, you can make your design transparent.
- When you’re happy with your design, follow these steps to download the file with a transparent background:
- Select the Download option from the drop-down menu in the top right corner of the desktop.
- Ensure PNG is selected in the File Type drop-down menu.
- Check the box to select Transparent background.
- Press the download button.
If the Transparent Background box didn’t appear, you’re probably using Canva’s Free plan. To be able to create a transparent background on Canva you must use the Canva premium or Enterprise layers option.
How to Make Transparent Background on Canva (Existing Image)
Although they look the same, making the background of an image transparent and making the background transparent is not the same. Here you just adjust the background of your image, usually to make your text stand out in front.
- Open canvas
- Choose the image you want to work on
- Tap the background image
- Tap the checkerboard icon in the upper right corner of the image. That’s the transparency button. You will see a slider from 0 to 100.
- Drag the slider according to your preferences. To increase the transparency, drag it to 0. To increase the opacity, drag it to 100.
- Tap “Download”.
Make object transparent in Canva
If you combine more images into one image or add a text box to an image, you are probably making at least one of them transparent to create a better effect. Here’s how:
Select the image or text box you want to make transparent.
You will see a popup menu next to the image. To the right of the menu, you will see an arrow, and tapping it will give you access to additional options. Tap “Transparency”.
Adjust the transparency slider.
Now that you’ve set your object’s transparency level, you can continue to work on your project or download it.
Related: How to group an Object on Canva
How to Use an Image with a Transparent Background on Canva
Once you’ve created an image with a transparent background, you can use it to overlay other images. Just upload the image back to Canva and you can place it on top of any other image or design.
Conclusion: How To Make A Transparent Background On Canva
Now that you know how to make a transparent background in Canva, the options are limitless! So make sure you keep checking vdtips for more Canva tips and tutorials.