In this article, we’ll show you how to italicize and bold text in Photoshop.
Table of Contents
Find your character palette
On the Window tab on the Menu tab, select the drawing palette if it is not already displayed. Window > Character
The Draw option in the Window menu
Select your text
- Highlight the text you want to bold or italicize. Select the 3 horizontal lines in the top right corner of the palette menu.
- You will see the options Faux Bold and Faux Italic. Choose what you want – or both.
- False bold and italic options
- In some downloadable versions of Photoshop, the bold and italics options may appear as a line of T letters at the bottom of the character palette. The first T stands for bold and the second in italics. Just click what you want. You will also see other options here, such as setting the text in capital letters.
Not all users are fans of Faux Bold or Faux Italic options as they can cause some minor issues. They can cause the text to stutter if you plan to send the document for professional printing. However, most are easy to fix.
Don’t forget to deactivate your selection after you reach your goal. Disable Faux Bold or Faux Italic to return to normal. This won’t happen automatically – it’s a “sticky” setup. Once you use it, all future types will appear this way until you undo it, even if you’re working on another document on another day.
You can also select Reset Character from the Character palette, but doing so may override other settings you want to keep, such as font and size. You’ll need to reset the settings you want to keep, but your text should look normal again after doing this.
You can no longer distort text or shape text after you apply Faux Bold formatting. You will receive a message stating: The request could not be completed because the text layer uses a false bold style. In Photoshop 7.0 and later, it is recommended that you remove the attribute and continue.
In other words, you can still distort the text, but it won’t appear bold. The good news is that in this case, it is very easy to undo the Faux Bold – just select OK in the warning box and your text will go back to normal.
Otherwise, we can still use this method on how to italicize and bold text in Photoshop
- After opening the document, move the mouse pointer to the toolbar on the far left.
- Click on the ‘Text tool’. Then enter your text.
- After typing the text. Click on the text and mark everything.
- Then go to the toolbar next to where the font is displayed, you can see a box that says “Regular”, just click and you will see a drop-down menu.
- Click Italic or Bold and the text will be in either format.
What is Photoshop’s Italic Command?
It is very easy to italicize text in Photoshop with the hotkey; it works for win and mac systems.
- After highlighting your text, just press
- Cmd + Shift + I (for Mac) / Ctrl + Shift + I (for Win) italicize.
Is this page helpful? Keep following to enjoy more Graphic Tips